Welcome! Please read entire message using the scroll bar. We will go over each item together during orientation: We have found that a one-hour tour around the virtual campus makes everyone feel better. The CISSP can be started any week as long as you have a clear understanding of what and where your resources sit.
Before our first meeting you need to understand some of the logistics and concepts- this will take 5-10 minutes. You will need your login to view the following. Please look at the following links: There will be a level set quiz, discussion, threats & controls, a case study, and a final quiz.
We start with a conference call, login to the room, test connections, give an overview, and end up with your first assignment.
00. How to study
- We have a plan. That plan takes most of the study methods into account. Adults forget how to study or have bad habits. Change your habits now. For details click here.
01. Conference call:
- Call in: 1.800.977.8002 ( U.S and Canada) PIN #46279358
- International 1.404.920.6650
- *6 to mute and unmute your phone When on the concall, please mute your computer.
02. Login to the room
- If you are registered, use the same email address for your registration.
- You should have been sent an email from adobe.com for resetting your password.
- Check your spam filters.
- If you have the URL and no password information, choose ‘Guest’ and login using your first and last name.
- Click here Orientation classroom for scheduled Live Online Orientation meeting
03. Test connections
- Test it here to see if you have all the necessary prerequisites.
- If you are having issues with connections.
Connection issue are solve in 4 ways:
1. Test adobe problems: https://na1cps.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
2. Adobe current addin: http://www.expandingsecurity.com/2012/01/adobe-connect-troubleshooting/
3. Browser: Adobe says they support Chrome. They don’t do it well: stick to IE/Firefox/Safari. We cannot change adobe support, so you get to choose another browser.
4. Turn off any sync/ presence/ virtualization/ voip – Anything that chips away at your total bandwidth.
04. Track your progress
05. CISSP / ISSAP / ISSMP Case study overview docs- Please read this before orientation
- Case Example
- Student Analysis
- Student MindMap
- Using Mind Maps, an 8-minute video “how to”
- You will send your cases to this alias CISSP.Case.Manager@expandingsecurity.com
- You must put the case number in the subject line and follow the template in your email.
This is what we do on the first day.
You will need the ability to download adobe pdf files. If you are having problems. Look here first.
CISSP NEW STUDENT FIRST ASSIGNMENT
06. First assignment.
You need to know where you are starting. Your instructor needs to know. This exam, the in-exam assessment, and the scoring communicates a great deal in a short period of time. This will take two hours. When you have completed this you may begin working on your assignments for the week.
If you need to know how the quiz interface works for regular Quiz MP4 version-11MB Quick time version 40MB
07. Download the files to your local drive.
You must have the PDF plugin / viewer installed for any of this to work. We support Safari, Firefox,and IE (Adobe doesn’t support Chrome- that means we cannot. If you choose to use Chrome you are on your own)
The next step is dependent on your browser setup: (Let your instructor know which one you use in orientation)
- For IE, you will get an in browser tool bar. The second icon is a save option.
- For Firefox, if you have not set a default action- you can choose (open with) or (save)
- For Safari on Apple dependent on your browser setup you will either get the download window (you need to manage the file from the downloads folder) OR an in-browser pdf (move your cursor to the bottom-center of the screen in the pdf that you are viewing it will show a save icon)
08. copy both links below to notepad
- Pretest 129 part 1- http://vmlt.adobeconnect.com/p26682797/
- Pretest 129 part 2- http://vmlt.adobeconnect.com/p14578576/
09. To take the pretest via the recording link above, Close this Adobe Acrobat Connect session window. Open a new browser window and copy the link above. This is a timed exam with 45 seconds per question. Both parts will take about 90 minutes. Remember to evaluate each of your answers as you go with 1,2,?
10. Score your exam and record in the excel tracking sheet from above #4.
11. Do a reading and comp test here. you should have a Speed # in WPM and a Comprehension # in %.
12. Put that data in the excel sheet.
13. Send this excel sheet to your instructor.
Sidebar on whole excel tracking sheet process
7-13 Steps When you complete your 129 quiz, total and fill in and save. Send instructor a copy.
The issue is that you cannot do it all perfectly but, you can track what you do and what you DO NOT do. Let’s walk thru the whole week just in the excel sheets:
a. You have a quiz on your weekly syllabus Step 03. Predomain quiz, it gets done before you do any domain work. Do it correct it, fill in your WEEKLY sheet for the domain.
b. You have a quiz each day if you come to class we always do 1-10 at the beginning, 11-15 may either get done in class or if not the recording from #14 it is labeled last quiz 11-15. You click, you bubble, you 1/2/?, you see your grade and what you got wrong.
c. At the end of quiz 1-15, go to the Excel class tab find the F## that matches everything else, fill in your 6 numbers, and any other tracking details that you have data on.
d. So now you have a sheet at the end of the week that has data for the domain, send a copy to the instructor each week when you have filled it out.
If you miss an activity or class, this is when the sheet REALLY needs to be filled in, for you. Let’s say you do half the reading. Mark it down, let it go, move on to the next subject. When you get a black out week (when there is no class) go back and ask yourself ? What did I miss? What did I not do? You can only know that information later if you point it out NOW by recording on the sheet.
14. Start the weekly process next- you will have questions, we do want to answer them.
15. Least crappy answer: This presentation should be reviewed after you have completed your Pretest. You cannot have any other acrobat pro windows open.
16. This is the recording of this orientation for your later review:
You cannot have any other acrobat pro windows open.
17. Please keep the calendar link handy. Every Monday shows the syllabus for that week’s Domain as link. You will see all the assignments for each class that week. You can find these links and class schedule in the following location:
http://www.expandingsecurity.com/classes/ (every event is a clickable link; the syllabus is always available)
18. This is a scientific explanation of class interaction, why you care, and what you should do. Click Here
19. If you need CISSP exam details Click Here.
20. To help you focus and concentrate there is an iPhone/iPad app that changes your brain waves. It puts you in the mood to study/ concentrate/ memorize. $2.99 at itunes store
21. To help you read faster Rapid reader Pro works on PDF files you can try it for 30 days free. My reading speed went from 250 WPM to 600 WPM.
22. How does ISMH relate to each reading?
- The ISMH is the license to the online readings.
- The F## are the extracted PDFs from ISMH that you must read to follow the plan.
- These reading are the perfect 1100 pages from the 7000.
- You never need to open the CD for the course.
- After the course this book becomes your main resource.
23. How should you use mind maps?
You must read them first see how terms and topics are associated, add your words as you go along, turn it into a metal image of the story of “F## topic.” It becomes an image that you associate with a thought, a subject. There is no manual memorization.
If you have never see a paint brush, how do you know what it is called or what it does to the canvas? If you do not know the word’s or definitions you cannot see how they fit together. When you look at a painting do you memorize the brush strokes? No, but you look at them and appreciate the story that they all tell together.
23. If you want a list of all the weekly syllabi:
- Law Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=893
- Information Security and Risk Management Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=900
- Operations Security Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=899
- Software and Application Security Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=896
- Business Continuity Planning and Disaster Recovery Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=898
- Physical Security Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=901
- Cryptology Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=897
- Access Control Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=895
- Security Architecture Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=902
- Telecommunications and Network Security Syllabus http://www.expandingsecurity.com/?p=903
All content is copyright protected. Downloading or reviewing any material means you consent to the copyright restrictions placed on all works by the author. You are forbidden from using any of this work in the teaching of any class. You are only permitted to use this as a current student of Expanding Security.